Friday, August 19, 2011

Summer Tacos

Since becoming gluten sensitive, I have had to re-vamp some old recipes and use new ingredients in my cooking. Something that I am in LOVE with right this second are corn tortillas. I never really liked them before but for some reason now, I crave them. A fresh, homemade taco with sour cream, salsa (even homemade tomatillo salsa!), beans and some lime sound amazing to me. I make this at least once a week. You should too.

Summer Tacos
created by Emily Marrs
makes 6 corn tortilla sized tacos 

INGREDIENTS
- 2T extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 1 can of black beans (or 3/4c of dried beans, soaked and cooked)
- 1 small zucchini sliced
- 1 small summer squash sliced
- 2 cups of cabbage, shredded
- 1 stem of oregano, leaves stripped and cut roughly
- handful of cilantro chopped
- 1 lime
- 1 carrot, shredded
- salsa and/or hot sauce
- package of corn tortillas or taco shells

DIRECTIONS
1. Begin heating a large saute pan. Add a pinch of salt to the bottom of the pan.
2. When pan is warm, add olive oil.
3. After about 20 seconds (before olive oil begins smoking), add minced garlic and chopped onion to pan.
4. Saute until onion is semi-soft and translucent.
5. Add zucchini and squash. Saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
6. Add carrots and kale. Saute for 3 minutes, until kale begins to wilt.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Add beans (or meat), cabbage, and oregano. Squeeze the juice of one lime on top of ingredients in pan. Saute for 5 minutes.
9. Give the dish a taste and season with salt and pepper if more is needed. If you have agave, about a teaspoon is great in this dish!
10. When the saute is done. Warm your tortillas in another pan until soft.
 11. When all your tortillas are ready, take out and add your saute on top with some fresh cilantro, freshly shredded carrots, hot sauce/salsa, cheese, and any other fresh toppings you like on tacos. I love sour cream.
12. Fold and enjoy!

1 comment:

The Momma said...

Ha! It will finally let me post my comments. You must have accidentally canceled the block you had placed on me. This does look delicious and I'm glad you're handing at recipes at the market. You're a good cook - just like your Pa.