Monday, February 20, 2012

Gluten-Free, Veggie Etouffee

This is my most precious recipe.

There once was this amazing restaurant in Parkland, WA called From the Bayou. They had amazing, spicy dishes. My favorite was their crawfish etouffee (back when I was a carnivore). It was creamy, flavorful, and just perfect. It was served over rice and with their jalapeno cornbread.

Then one day, something happened. From the Bayou was gone. The owners fled from debtors, at least that is what I heard. But...they left a special treat. On their website, they posted the recipes for some of their best dishes. It almost seemed like they were trying to "shove it" to people who wanted to buy the place or something. This was about 8 years ago. Luckily, I was smart enough to print them off (and the new restaurant did fail after it was sold). I still I have the recipes and I don't really want to give them out without making you pay. They are that good!

However, I have changed the etouffee recipe a bit to make it vegetarian and gluten-free so I feel that it is worth sharing. It still is creamy and mouth watering. Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother, I would just cry that it is gone forever!


INGREDIENTS
5T butter
3 chopped onions
2 chopped green peppers
1 1/2t chopped garlic
3-4c slice mushrooms
1 1/2t arrowroot powder (flour for you glutens)
3/4T cayenne pepper
4 dashes hot sauce
1T garlic powder
1c whipping cream
1 1/2c milk
1/2c half and half
1 3/4c (or one 16oz can) tomato sauce

METHOD
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy pot.
2. Add onions, peppers, garlic, and all seasonings and saute, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent. About 15 minutes.

3. Add mushrooms and saute for about 5 min.
4. Mix arrowroot powder in a small bowl with 1T water and mix well until incorporated. Add mix to pot and stir for 1 minute.

5. Add whipping cream, milk, and half and half.
6. Cook until liquid thickens, but not boiling, stirring often.
7. Add tomato sauce and cook for 15 minutes.
8. Continue to stir and cook. The longer you cook the etouffee, the better it tastes! I like to cook mine for at least 30 minutes.

Serve over rice!

2 comments:

TheAnut said...

Awwwwwww --- my precious niece's most precious recipe! (Maybe my Sweet Potatoes will win the most precious in the Side Dish category.)
I never see Etouffee on a menu without thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to trying this. I'm making a double batch of it tonight so that I'll have leftovers for my students to try tomorrow as we talk about Cajun and Creole influences in Louisiana. I will be making a jalapeno cornbread to serve it over. I was thrilled to find this recipe as I am a vegetarian myself and some that I teach do not eat meat either. Hope it turns out well and that they ask for the recipe too!