Sunday, November 18, 2012

Homemade Glass Cleaner

Last year I was out of glass cleaner so I decided to look on the internets to see if a homemade glass cleaner "recipe" existed. I wanted to make my own because a) I didn't want to drive to the store b) I figured a hippy cleaner would fit well in my cupboard (along with the Simple Green and Ballard Organics cleaner, the latter of which is so great but apparently went out of business last year, no!).

My research led me to many different vinegar concoctions but one mixture stood out by getting the best reviews on many websites. I tried it out and it honestly works really well! At first it looks like it is going to be streaky but when it dries it is way better than regular glass cleaner. I spray it on and use a coffee filter as a "rag" and my mirrors look great. It even gets off all the yuckies on mirrors like toothpaste and water splashes.

Don't worry these streaks will go away once it is all dry
Then it will look like this (ignore the cat hair fleece I am wearing)
Here is the recipe (I put mine in an old window cleaner bottle):
1/4c rubbing alcohol
1/4c white vinegar
1T cornstarch
2c warm water

Mix together in your spray bottle and shake well. You will need to shake it well every time you use so you mix in all that cornstarch that will collect at the bottom.

Not to mention this is way cheaper than store-bought-should-wear-gloves-streaky window cleaner. Just try it.

No comments: