Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rhubarb...good.


We have a patch of rhubarb growing at our house and the only real thing I like to do with it is mix it with sugar and more sugar.
Last year I found a Rhubarb Parfait recipe in my Cooking Light or something similar and then when I went for it this year I couldn't find it. I went to the trusted internets and found this. However, if you ask me the measurements are ridiculous and unless you are actually feeding the president and his cabinet, you don't need this much. So...I redid it:

Spring Rhubarb Parfait
serves 4

INGREDIENTS
6 stalks of rhubarb cut into thin slices
1/4c sugar
vanilla ice cream

For topping:
1/4 sugar
1/2 c flour
2 Tbs butter softened
3 Tbs water
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix rhubarb and sugar in a sauce pan over Medium heat. Cook until rhubarb has broken down.
3. While the rhubarb is cooking, in a medium bowl, mix together with your hands the sugar, flour, and butter for the topping.
4. Add water, vanilla, and salt to the topping bowl and continue to mix with hands. Dough should be chunky but not sticky. Add more flour and water as needed.
5. Put dough in small pieces on a non-stick baking pan and bake until slightly brown (about 6 - 10min).
6. When dough is baked, in parfait cups or bowls, put a scoop of ice cream, then the rhubarb mixture and finally the dough on top.
7. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Gevan said...

Mmm... Michelle made rhubarb crisp last weekend. Yummy. I'm sure it's good for you too.