Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Skype Business

Okay, so, what is all this "skype" business?

About a month ago, I was really perplexed on what all the hype was about. Nothing sounded worse than skyping. It's like talking on the phone, blegh, but the person you are talking to can see you?! Gross. I don't want people to know I am rolling my eyes, planning my week, eating spaghetti, and watching a movie all while talking to them.

As I am sure you realize, talking on the phone just isn't my cup o' tea. I'd rather see (and by see, I mean hang out once a month) people or email. Seriously, I know emailing is lame but I just don't have the desire to talk on the phone for 30 minutes. I am a serious multi-tasker and talking on the phone while doing the dishes is really hard. Plus, people do always know when you are going to the bathroom and talking on the phone at the same time. I'd rather just save myself the embarrassment. On the other hand, emails take like 5 minutes, you get straight to the point and move on to other important business. Like You Tube dances.

I recently found out that my sister started using skype with her fiance while they are in different states. Okay. Cool. I suppose that is a pretty nice thing. But what really got me understanding skype was that I heard soldiers use it when they are on deployment to communicate with their families. Now that is cool. It is free and easy to use.

My mom on the other hand doesn't use it because she can't get passed the sign up phase. They ask for her name.*scammer alert*

So although I think the US military has got a great way to communicate with family, I think I will stick to just not talking to people.

2 comments:

Gevan said...

I agree. Speaking is over-rated.

Honest to Christina said...

This is why I don't understand the "video phone" feature on the new iphone. How am I supposed to pee while talking with out the other person knowing?! (TMI? I think not)

Of course, we DID use skype while Mr. M was in Afghanistan but it was always a lot of awkward silence and looking at each other. But it was free and easier than the military phones which would echo and cut out.