Sunday, November 28, 2010

Being Thrifty

In 2007, 2008, and 2009 I braved the mornings of Black Friday.

My Sis and I had a kick-butt system to know what we wanted, get what we wanted, and managed to spend less than 45 min in a store. Boo-yah!

However, after a couple years of trying to buy things with a) less packaging b) not from China c) less plastic d) lightly used and being saved from a landfill, I decided to forgo Black Friday for 2010. Sis was in California anyway but I knew Ma was up for the challenge if need be. Alas, I didn't have to desire to shop. I really didn't need anything and I am really trying to buy clothes used. I don't need brand-spankin' new clothes (only shoes).

When Friday afternoon rolled around I was chillin' at home HOME (with the rents) and got the itch to shop. I guess being home and it being the Black Friday made me get the fever.

It was decided that Ma and I do a lil' shoppin'. (after she took her afternoon nap.) We chose to go to Salvation Army (everything 50% off!) and Joann Fabrics to get supplies for homemade Christmas gifts. So it was a very Emily 2010 shopping trip. We ended up getting bags of clothes, home decor, and other misc stuff at SA for $44! Seriously, at a "real" store all that useful shit would have cost  well over $200.

So we Ma managed to spend a whopping $60 on Black Friday. I got about 6 items of clothing and great home decor.

I even got a new tv stand on Saturday!! (Not really a black friday special but all that purchasing got me wanting a new tv stand.) $50 Ikea TV stand/entertainment center on craigslist. Bye Gramma's oak entertainment center. You served us well. You will go to a great college student home after we post you for free on craigslist. (Free because it is ugly AND we managed to shatter one of the glass window things upon removal from the living room to the garage, that shit was heavy.)

All in all it was a great Thanksgiving weekend with family, shopping, and food. (I made pumpkin pie from garden squash, mushroom/potato casserole, vegan cranberry "jello", and a cheeseball. It was good.)

2 comments:

Gevan said...

The cheese ball was more than good. It was EXCELLENT. I'm still eating away at it.

The Momma said...

Yep, for my sweet first born I woulda faced predawn lines & the possibility of getting into a physical fight but I'm really grateful I got to sleep in, have an afternoon nap, AND go on a 1/2 off everything thrift store shopping spree - seriously, what could be better!
Pa was looking for some pumpkin pie.
What's the new tv stand look like?