To honor the weed, and as per a beautiful curly haired vegan friend o' mine's request, I shall now post my dandelion stir-fry recipe. Really, this recipe could be used with anything, it is my go to stir-fry method. But for the sake of this, I shall make it all about da spring.
- handful of dandelion greens, washed
- about 3-5 dandelion flowers, petals pulled off
- 1/4lb tofu, cut into bit size squares
- half an onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- about 4-5 mushrooms sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup rice
- 2T soy sauce
- 1T hoison sauce
- 1T mirin (rice wine vinegar)
- 1T agave or sugar
- 1t chilli sauce or red pepper flakes
1. First things first, you are gonna have to go forage for those dandelions. Grab some scissors and a baggie and head outside. You are going to be looking for healthy looking dandelions.
|This is an UN-healthy dandelion|
|Healthy dandelion. Lots of leaves pointing skyward.|
3. Head back inside and cut up all your ingredients.
4. Start cooking the rice. If using brown rice, you may want to start the rice before you go outside to harvest dandelions, that way everything is ready all at the same time and you don't have to wait for the rice to cook.
5. Add 2T oil to a frying pan. When hot, add tofu and turn heat down to low. Stir/flip constantly for about 5 minutes or until tofu is crispy.
6. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms and fry for another 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms are wilted and onions are translucent.
7. Add shredded carrot and dandelion petals and greens. Fry for about 3 - 5 minutes until everything is wilted and soft.
8. Mix sauce together in small bowl and then add to the pan.
9. Let everything soak in the sauce on low for about 3 min or until the sauce is all soaked up. (If you need to add more sauce, go for it. If the dish is too bitter add a bit more agave.)
10. Eat over rice.
I hope you enjoy!