Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Best Fries Ever

My friend just posted these fries on her blog and in a fit of hunger overindulgence, I decided to make them that night for dinner. With fried rice. I know, best combo, huh?  Well, I already had everything on hand because we have some beautiful purple, red, and yellow potatoes from the garden so I couldn't pass up the opportunity for fries, but then again, when can I pass it up? (never!) Anywho, I made this because it is super easy and I have never really been able to master homemade fries.  I made these fries back in 2009 but these 2011 fries just are a ish-ton better. Sorry for previously posting an inferior product.

However, because I like to tweek things and try to make things better than the last, I decided to add a few special ingredients to my fries. It certainly was a good thing.

Homemade Oven Fries
serves 2-3
adapted from these guys

INGREDIENTS
4 medium to large potatoes (I used our homegrown yukon gold and purple), rinsed, peeled roughly, and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
4T olive oil
ground black pepper
salt
small pinch cayenne pepper

METHOD
1. Put oven rack to lowest position, put a baking sheet on the rack, and heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place cut potatoes and 1T salt in large pot; add water to cover.

3. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and gently boil until exteriors of potatoes have softened but centers still are semi-hard, you can use a fork to make sure it can't pierce through the middle, about 5 minutes.
4. Drain potatoes well and transfer to large bowl. Drizzle with 2T oil and sprinkle with 1t salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper; using rubber spatula toss to combine.
5. Drizzle another 1T oil and continue to toss until exteriors of potato slices are coated with starchy paste, 1-2 minutes.

6. Working quickly, remove baking sheet from oven and drizzle 1T oil over surface.
7. Carefully transfer potatoes to sheet and spread into even layer. Bake until bottoms of potatoes are golden brown and crisp, 15-20 minutes.
8. Take sheet out of oven and flip potatoes and rotating sheet. Bake 10-15 more minutes until fries are completely golden.
9. When finished sprinkle with pepper and maybe some more salt and enjoy!

No comments: