However, because I like to tweek things and try to make things better than the last, I decided to add a few special ingredients to my fries. It certainly was a good thing.
Homemade Oven Fries
adapted from these guys
4 medium to large potatoes (I used our homegrown yukon gold and purple), rinsed, peeled roughly, and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
4T olive oil
ground black pepper
small pinch cayenne pepper
1. Put oven rack to lowest position, put a baking sheet on the rack, and heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place cut potatoes and 1T salt in large pot; add water to cover.
4. Drain potatoes well and transfer to large bowl. Drizzle with 2T oil and sprinkle with 1t salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper; using rubber spatula toss to combine.
5. Drizzle another 1T oil and continue to toss until exteriors of potato slices are coated with starchy paste, 1-2 minutes.
7. Carefully transfer potatoes to sheet and spread into even layer. Bake until bottoms of potatoes are golden brown and crisp, 15-20 minutes.
8. Take sheet out of oven and flip potatoes and rotating sheet. Bake 10-15 more minutes until fries are completely golden.
9. When finished sprinkle with pepper and maybe some more salt and enjoy!