Saturday, November 5, 2011

Playing Hostess


A couple of weekends ago I co-hosted a baby shower for a Ferndale friend. I was in charge of the games and food. My games were unique and my food was obviously divine. I may not be able to do laundry, clean a shower, or wash my car but damn, I can sure whip up a mean chip dip and cupcake.

And, I would like to show it off. Naturally.


I made deviled eggs.

I made cucumber sandwiches.

I made gluten-free carrot cupcakes.

I made chocolate brownie cupcakes.

goodies bags made by my co-host
It was a good shower and baby will have some great clothes and toys when he/she is born. Which should be very soon. Hopefully I get over my cold soon too so I can see the babe when he/she enters the breathing world!


These Brownie Cupcakes are amazing, by the way. In fact, I would like to provide everyone with the recipe. You can make these vegan easily. They aren't gluten free but I will work on that asap!

Brownie Cupcakes
makes 13-15 cupcakes
adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

INGREDIENTS
2/3c semisweet chocolate chips
1/4c plain yogurt
1/2c cherry preserves (black or red)
1/2c milk (I use vanilla soy)
3/4c sugar
1/2c canola oil
1t vanilla extract
1/2t almond extract
1/4c cocoa powder
1/2t baking soda
1t baking powder
1/4t salt

Frosting:
2T melted butter or margarine
1/4c cocoa powder
3T milk
1t vanilla extract
1 1/2c powdered sugar

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pan with liners and spray each bottom with oil.
2. Mix together yogurt, cherry preserves, milk, sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond extract. There should be no large chunks although the preserves with still be floating around which is all right.
3. Melt chocolate chips in pan on stove. Heat slowly while stirring until all chocolate is melted.
4. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the yogurt mixture. Mix thoroughly with hand held mixer and mix for about 3 minutes on medium speed.
5. Mix in melted chocolate until well incorporated.
6. Fill the liners 3/4 of the way full with batter.
7. Bake for 24-26 minutes. The tops may look semi-shiny and undone but that is all right.
8. Take out of the oven and let them sit in the pan for 5 minutes.
9. Take cupcakes out of the pan and finish cooling on a rack.

To make frosting:
1. Beat together butter, cocoa, milk, and vanilla.
2. Add sugar in cupfuls and incorporate well before adding more.
3. The frosting will be semi runny, runnier than normal frosting, but that is all right, it will "dry" like frosting on a brownie.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Momma said...

It made me hungry looking at your menu and pictures - good job! For the record, you can do laundry, clean a shower & wash cars - it's just not how you like to spend your time. But making delicious food - you're all about that.