Sunday, February 10, 2013

Gluten-Free Crepes

I have a confession. All week I have been debating whether or not to end my blog. Well, maybe not end it but take a long vacation from it. I haven't been taking pictures and I just don't feel interesting. HOWEVER, I have some good news, because obviously if you are reading this you semi-care so it would be good news....I have decided to keep plugging along.

This morning I made some gluten-free crepes and I just felt like I had to post it.

Then, I opened this here blog and saw that I had something like 50 hits one day this week. So, I looked at what people are googling to find me and lowandbehold, when you type "pregnancy blog" in google, my site is on the second page. That is pretty impressive. Especially since I have one post talking about my pregnancy and nothing else exciting for mothers-to-be.

So, yes, I am going to continue. And I am going to continue with my regular banter along with some new pregnancy banter/complaining/interesting shit because the people are demanding it, damnit! 50 people!

We will start with my morning crepes that inspired me to open my blog, that I have been avoiding for at least two weeks. By the way, this recipe may look like it takes 45 minutes to make but it really only takes 20 minutes or so. You'll have breakfast in no time!


Gluten-Free Crepes
makes 4 smallish crepes
created by Muah

INGREDIENTS

Crepes:
1/2c plus 2T milk or milk substitute
1 egg
1T melted butter
1/2c all purpose GF mix or 1/4c almond flour, 1/8c tapioca flour, 1/8 chickpea flour
1T flax seed (optional)
1/4t salt
1/2t vanilla
1/16t baking powder (I know that is minuscule but just do it)

Innards/Sauce:
I like to put cream cheese in the middle of my crepes with a little bit of fruity sauce. If you would like to do the same, which I highly recommend, go ahead and soften about 1/4c cream cheese and then make this here sauce.
1/4c water
1/4c frozen berries, or fresh berries
1T maple syrup
1T cornstarch
2T favorite jam
1/2T butter


METHOD

Crepes:
1. Whisk together milk, egg, and melted butter in a mixing bowl.
2. When well blended, sift in GF flours.
3. Add flax, salt, vanilla, and baking powder into the bowl and whisk together.
4. The batter should be like runny pancake batter. If it is too thick, add more milk.

Now you should make your Sauce:
1. In a saucepan, bring water, berries, and syrup to a boil. Squish the berries with the back of a spoon a bit while you stir.
2. With a spoon, take out 3 spoonfuls of the boiling berry liquid and put into a small bowl. Add cornstarch to this small bowl and stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Add cornstarch liquid back into saucepan. Stir well. The liquid should thicken up now.
3. Turn off the heat and add the butter and your favorite jam. Mix together.


Cooking your Crepes:
1. Heat a small pan on medium-low. When warm, add a bit of olive oil or cooking spray. Add about 1/8c batter to the pan and by picking up the pan and tilting it, spread the batter throughout the bottom of the pan.


2. Heat for about a minute and then flip.
3. Heat the other side for about a minute.
4. When done, fill with cream cheese and a bit of berry mixture. Do it all again and then top everything with the berry syrup!

Mr Peps said that when our kids have friends over to spend the night, I should make this for breakfast. It will be the Pepperworth breakfast trademark methinks.

1 comment:

Melody said...

I would be sad if you stopped your blog!! Even though I don't comment very often, I read every one. Just do it when you feel like it.