Thursday, February 28, 2013

Exercise While Pregnant

When I was 9 years old or so, I did not try out for a local gymnastics team because you had to run a mile and that terrified me. When I was in high school, I quit basketball because the amount of running was something I did not want to endure. I stuck with fastpitch because it requires a minimal amount of sprinting.

Then, I got semi-overweight.

In college, I started working out. During my freshman year, I didn't gain my freshman fifteen, I actually probably dropped fifteen pounds. It made me feel much better about myself and it also got me into running and participating in various races so I could motivate myself to workout. For the record, I do not enjoy working out. However, I LOVE the feeling after a good workout and I love sore muscles.

So, when I got pregnant, I didn't really know what I could and could not do workout-wise. For about a month, I didn't really do anything but I was running a bit. I asked my midwife what I should do and how far I should push myself and she said that I could really do everything I was still doing. I could even be training to run further. At first, this made me feel really lazy because I definitely wasn't pushing myself and I was hoping for a good take-it-easy speech. But, my midwife informed me that exercise would mostly likely make pregnancy and birth easier. I kinda sorta knew that, I mean, how could that not make sense if I am having a healthy, low risk pregnancy. (side note: if you are starting a workout routine you should consult your doctor first. I am not a doctor, just a know-it-all.)

Currently, I have a weekly routine that includes prenatal yoga, weights with cardio two times a week, and a circuit training once a week. It is pretty awesome and while it pushes me (and it is getting harder as my belly grows) it doesn't make me feel too tired and it doesn't include things that can harm my body nor Baby (eg. sit ups, crunches, twists, etc).

Because I like my routine so much, I wanted to share it with others in case someone else is looking for a good routine.

First, for prenatal yoga, I signed up through a local yoga studio and it is SO awesome! Not only are you learning some great prenatal poses, you are practicing relaxation and breathing through muscle tension which is great for birth.

Secondly, for my weekly weights, I do running (about 2 miles) and legs one day and running and arms the other day. These include: Legs 1. Warm up- Cat/Cow Pose (cow is neutral back, not concave) 2. Elevator 3. Squat Combo 4. Baby Pick Ups 5. Plie Squats with Lateral Arm Lift 6. Wall Sit (30 seconds) 7. Inner/Outter Thigh Lifts 8. Donkey Kicks 9. Side Donkey Kicks 10. Arm/Leg Reach 11. Butterfly Stretch (I do mine with a band around my ankles. I hold onto the bands and lean back to open my chest/shoulders/upper body).
I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps each with weights varying from 6 - 10lbs depending on the exercise.

Arms 1. Warm up- Cat/Cow Pose (cow is neutral back, not concave) 2. Elevator 3. Wide Shoulder Raise 4. Wall Sit with Hammer Curl 5. Sit and Reach 6. Tricep Extensions 7. Rows 8. Plank (30 seconds) 9. Arm/Leg Reach 10. Butterfly Stretch (I do mine with a band around my ankles. I hold onto the bands and lean back to open my chest/shoulders/upper body)
I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps each with weights varying from 6 - 10lbs depending on the exercise.

And now for a dog picture
For my circuit I do:
Warm Up - 1 set, 10 reps each
Weighted Jumps
Side Squats
Weighted Squats
Jump Squats

Then I do each of these exercises in pairs. I finish the 3 sets of each before moving onto the next pair of exercises.
Push Ups with Arm Lift     3sets  5reps each arm
Medicine Ball Twists (but I don't do a full twist, just mini twists) 3 sets 20reps

Squats with weights   3     12
Tricep Dips    3     10

Butt Kickers     3     30seconds
Bicep Curls with Back Against Wall     3     15

Side Planks     3    10each side
Side Donkey Kicks     3     10each leg

Sprinting     3     1minute on treadmill
Lunges with Bicep Curls     3     5each leg

Fast Cycling     3     1minute hard
Plank     3     30seconds

Cool Down
Pendulum Lunge     2     5each leg
Donkey Kicks     2     10each leg

Whew, that is a lot of links (maybe someday I will get pics of me doing them). But, I guess if you don't know what you are doing, they will be quite informative. Make sure you drink water throughout your workout and give yourself a good stretching afterwards. Also, make sure you breathe. That's always important too. Have fun!


1 comment:

Garden Street Zoo said...

I have started doing a weights class at the gym and I love it and the sore muscles I get in return. Running alone isn't enough for me anymore - I needed the weights. FYI - all those squats are great for your pelvic floor muscles! :)