Saturday, March 2, 2013

2013's Farm Plan

Here on the farm we are getting ready for the upcoming season. Well, not really we. I haven't done very much. I did go weed the side of the house one day. Then I got bored.

But, Mr Pepperworth has been diligently working outside doing what he can to get ready, which isn't a whole lot but some stuff. So far he has pruned the fruit trees, pruned the blueberries, ordered all the seeds, and weeded some beds that needed it. He drove the tractor around too but I don't really think that was all that nessecary, although, he'll say it was.


Anywho, because of the impending summer birth, we aren't quite sure what to expect. Baby is due right around harvest time which could make things interesting. We have made a decision to not do our local Farmer's Market this year though. It was something that I really enjoyed but I won't have the time and Mr doesn't want to do it so we are scrapping it this year. Instead, we will be selling a boxes of mixed produce to probably 5 people at Mr Pep's work. It will be easier for us and easy for our customers to pick up the ready-to-eat organic food. I am pretty excited about it actually. I think it will be fun putting it all together.

Because I am eating eggs again (well, some of the egg), Mr announced that we will finally be getting a few chickens. (The last of the pigeons died this week...well, not really died so much as disappeared...probably through the hole in the coop that I told Mr about 3 weeks ago. May they all rest in peace and sing with the angels.) Mr Peps is going to turn the pigeon coop into a small chicken coop which is pretty cool, especially since everyone thinks that is what it already is and that we have chickens. So, chickens will be a new adventure.

I also am excited to start some more flowers this year. I really do like growing flowers and having pretty bouquets. I probably won't start them until after March or April I am told to start them. I'll probably have a nice belly to work around but I am determined to get outside during those sunny weekends!

Most importantly, I hope the weather is better than it was last year. Because of the shitty spring, veggies were planted two weeks late and some things never properly matured leaving us with a bounty of unripe fruit. I would love to have a great harvest this year and since I will be home from July through September, I am looking forward to canning and preserving. (I know I will be tired and probably complain about it all later but right now, I am looking forward to it damnit!)


Here's to a successful 2013 harvest!

No comments: