Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spring is coming!

I know in parts of the country, there is snow on the ground and snow falling from the sky. We actually had that on the second day of spring this year but it didn't stick around. In fact, by 3pm it was sunny and semi-warm. That is the good ole NW weather for you.

While it has been pretty chilly here, it is starting to get warmer and I didn't realize how happy I am about that. I am ready to wear a T-shirt and catch up on my vitamin D (mostly because I am tired of taking 4 vitamin D supplements a day!).

This past weekend, some we took some friends on a shortish (8 mile) bike ride to Birch Bay State Park. It was a very nice ride and the perfect distance for me right now. The sun was shining, you could see all the mountains and islands, and the temperature was grand. Afterward, we laid in our lawn for about 20 minutes and enjoyed a popcorn and fermented green bean snack. We usually don't do things like that on the weekend because we are always so chore oriented but it was definitely a nice break from things!

I have also started working in the yard. I harvested some nettles and made some nettle soup that was SO easy to make. The bright green color and light flavor just feels good for my body. Next weekend, after the next harvest, I plan on making pesto to eat with my 23 spaghetti squash sitting in the garage that have been waiting to be eaten since November.

Fun Fact: did you know finding maternity gardening-type pants is impossible?! Not that I really want to buy a pair for this year but still, it would be nice not to have to wear the same sweatpants overandoverandover. I guess I should just go to Goodwill and find something.


Plus, the daffodils are blooming and the trees are just starting to bud.


Now, if only I could go running and enjoy the weather (which I plan on doing after work today) then my regular spring enjoyment will be complete.

I do love spring and I forget that every winter when I am ready to hibernate and not see another weed for ever and ever! Amen!

No comments: