I don't know about you but I am still trying to use up my summer harvest. This recipe suited our garden bounty perfectly!
This sauce I originally put on top of pasta but recently I also used it as pizza sauce and it was awesome.
Tomato Eggplant Sauce
- 6 medium to large tomatoes
- 3 small japanese eggplants or 1/2 regular size italian eggplant
- 3 cloves garlic
- dried basil
Preheat oven to 400
1) Cut the tomatoes into quarters, put into a medium sized bowl
2) Cut eggplant into 1 inch thick slices, put in same bowl
3) Peel cloves and add them whole into your bowl
4) Season tomatoes and eggplant with salt, pepper, and dried basil
5) Add 1 - 2T oil to your bowl and toss
6) Put your veggies on a baking sheet and put in the oven and let roast for 30min
7) After 30min and the veggies have "wilted" a little but not burned, take them out and set them somewhere to cool for about 10 min.
8) Put your veggies in the food processor (this took two batches for me).
9) Puree the veggies until you get the consistency you want.
That's it. Enjoy this end-o-summer special on pasta, pizza, or maybe even a sandwich. You could add water or veggie broth to it if you want it a bit thinner.