Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Gluten Free (Vegan) Breakfast II

I miss wheat sometimes. In fact, I missed it so much last night, I ate pasta. Fresh, homemade pasta. It was worth it. Luckily, I didn't feel too bad but I definitely couldn't do that regularly.

Anywho, I LOVE eating biscuits and gravy on weekend mornings. A warm biscuit with veggie gravy and hot coffee is so delicious. Therefore, last weekend, I decided to tackle gluten-free biscuits.

They were so good and prefect to freeze! I pop them in the oven on a workday morning at 350 and then I go get dressed and in 15 - 20min, it is ready for some jam. Yum!



Gluten-Free (vegan options) Biscuits
adapted from "Gluten Free Cooking School"
yields 8 biscuits

INGREDIENTS
3/4c brown rice flour
1/2c cornstarch
1/2c arrowroot powder (or just more cornstarch)
1/4c soy flour or sorghum flour
 1t baking powder
 1t salt
3/4t baking soda
1t xanthan gum
3T butter (chilled in the freezer and grated - it is amazing how well this works) *vegan - use Earth Balance Buttery Stick*
1/2c + 1T whatever kinda milk
1/2c + 1T water
1/2T cider vinegar
1/2 egg, beaten *vegan - or the equivalent amount of egg replacer*

METHOD
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum.
3. Add small amounts of grated butter into the flour so that there are no large balls of grated butter. Mix with hands while adding butter.
4. Add the soy milk, water, vinegar and beaten egg to the flour and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined.
5. Drop the dough onto a greased pan to make 8 biscuits or roll slightly with hands and press into small rounds.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: