Thursday, April 25, 2013

Nettle Hummus

I picked my last nettle harvest this past weekend. I plan on making some soup to eat and some to freeze for post-baby times. Nettle soup will definitely be good for a breastfeeding mom and her wee babe.

During this nettle season I made pesto, soup, quiche, and hummus. Everything I have made is so delicious. I haven't had one recipe failure. My hummus was especially good and I am still working on it. It is such an easy recipe that I would love to share it with you. In fact, you should get some nettles for yourself. Go into the woods somewhere and find some nettles. Just picked off the tender tops (with some gloves and long clothing, mind you) but make sure the plants aren't more than a foot or so tall, otherwise, the plant will have developed some sort of something that is indigestible.

Anywho, here is the recipe.


Nettle Hummus
makes 3 cups

INGREDIENTS
2 c cooked chickpeas (I soaked 1 1/2c dried chickpeas and cooked those up since I prefer dried beans)
2 1/2c fresh nettles
3 cloves garlic
1/2c olive oil
Juice of one lemon
3/4t salt
Pepper to taste

METHOD
1. First let's deal with those nettles. Get a pot of boiling water going and stick in the nettles for about 2 minutes. Then, dump them in an ice bath and leave out to drain on a towel for a few minutes.
2. Put your cooked chickpeas in a food processor with the garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Process until smoothish.
3. Roughly chop up the nettles and throw into the processor.
4. Start processiong all the ingredients and while it is going, add the olive oil.
5. Process until smooth adding more oil and salt, if needed.

Enjoy this wonderful spring hummus with crackers, veggies, or anything that could use a good spread!

No comments: