Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cabbage Rolls

Time for a recipe. But, since I am only eating go-straight-through-you food, I really had to think about this one. What is something I am currently eating that people might actually like?

BTW, is anyone annoyed that I keep talking about my elimination diet? Because, if so, you must realize I LOVE food. I love making food. I love eating food. So, since I can't eat my amazing food, it is on my mind all.the.time and I like to speak my mind (if you didn't notice). In other words, if it annoys you, time to get over it. There, I said it.

  

Anywho, I made cabbage rolls for the first time and they were seriously flippin' delicious! You really should try them. You can pretty much put anything you want inside them but I am going to give you my version and if you happen to be on Phase One of the Whole Food Elimination Diet, you have scored. You scored big. You don't have to eat kale again tonight. Holla at yo' girl.

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
serves two
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Since I was not able to eat tomatoes at the time I put this dish together, I used a squash sauce. However, instead of doing my squash sauce step, you could just save yourself some time and use tomato sauce instead. The squash is delicious though (always is).


INGREDIENTS

Sauce
- 2 1/2c peeled, diced squash
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2c veggie broth
- 2T Olive Oil
- salt and pepper


Cabbage Rolls
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2T olive oil
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1/2c zucchini chopped
- 1/2c rice cooked, this is a pre-recipe step*

METHOD
1. Cut the core out the bottom/middle part of the cabbage but leave it whole. The core is hard to roll, so you don't want it in there.
2. Place cabbage, with the empty core area facing up, in a large bowl.
3. Boil water and pour the water over the cabbage until it reaches the top and let it sit for ten minutes.
4. Heat the oil in a saute pan.
5. Add onions and garlic for the sauce. Cook for 4 min.
6. Add squash and salt and pepper (to taste). Saute for 5 min.
7. Add veggie broth and cover. Cook for 10 min.
8. Add sauce mixture to food processor and let sit until slightly cook.
9. While the sauce is cooling, cook the other onions until they are soft.
10. Add garlic, carrots, and zucchini and cook for 4 min.
11. Add rice and saute for another 5 min. Add salt and pepper to taste.
12. Transfer it to a bowl and let it cool a bit.
13. Drain the head of cabbage by turning upside down.
14. Pull off large leaves, cut out the large vein. If the leaf is very large, you can make two rolls from each.
15. Roll about a spoonful or two of filling in each leaf (depending on the size of your leaf)
16. Arrange in a large, wide pot.
17. Process your squash mixture until smooth. If the sauce is thick, add more broth. You want it to be the same consistency as heavy cream.
18. When sauce is right, pour it over the rolls, enough to almost reach to top of cabbage. (You can add more broth or water to the pot if needed.
19. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat, letting them simmer covered on the stove on low for about 30-45 min.
20. Serve immediately. If sauce you have extra sauce, pour over individual portions. Mmmmmm.

1 comment:

Clarissa Mansfield said...

I LOVE cabbage. This sounds so good!